Developing the software for the wind stations I often run into problems and random restarts of the Arduino. Soon I realised it was due to that I ran out of RAM, 2k does not last that long, specifically when every debug string you put in consumes RAM. I found out about PROGMEM but I did not find so much more information on how to use it so instead I focused on getting things to work. But now when I re-write the whole communication code I plan to do it right!

So have looked a bit more into it and found the great article Putting constant data into program memory (PROGMEM) by Nick Gammon. It explains the whole problem as well as give many practical tips on how to write RAM efficient Arduino code.

And another recommendation is to use the latest Arduino IDE, the 1.5.8 Beta. It uses much newer compiler etc as described in this post. Also when compiling it generates not only information about how much of the storage space you sketch uses but also how much RAM is used at start. Like this:
Sketch uses 9,412 bytes (30%) of program storage space. Maximum is 30,720 bytes.
Global variables use 1,126 bytes (54%) of dynamic memory, leaving 922 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes.

Remember that this only indicates the situation at start so do you have functions that use large arrays that will not be shown there.